Monday, February 14, 2011

A Bad Job

Two summers ago at the age of 17 I got a part-time job as an outdoor maitenence guy at a fairly large town-house property. In other words I was a weed puller. Now I don't mind pulling weeds but I was unprepared for the amount of weeds that were waiting to be pulled at the townhouse site. I spent on average 10 hours a week that summer pulling a variety of weeds from cracks in concrete, the bark under the trees, in the rock by the sidewalks, and of course in the large flowering areas. Soon my back became sore and my shoulders became burnt by the sun. However I did not complain. It was only weed pulling afterall. Then one day my boss told me to focus on getting rid of the weeds on the back road behind the complex which wasn't even on the property. Imagine trying to pull a small tree out of the ground. Now do it over and over again; I had to do it. Even the Round-Up spray didn;t even faze these 4 foot plus tall weeds. Eventually after failing a few times, I just took a large weed whacker to the back road and then had to pick up a quarter mile of weeds scattered on the road. I completed that job very pissed off to say the least because i shouldn't of even been doing it in the first place.
             That job also required me to have not just hands that can pull, but also a brain. I had to do some maintenence around and on the outside of the biuldings. One job was to unscrew the 200 air ducts that were on the ceiling of each porch overhang, spray paint them and screw them back on. I thought it would be easy but it turns out it wasn't, mainly because I didnt think it through first. I climbed up and and down that ladder countless times unscrewing those damn air ducts which were 12 feet high on the ceiling. After two weeks of dealing with mismatching screws and flaking paint and angry people pissed at you for taking off their ducts, I finally finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment