Monday, January 31, 2011

Family Conflict

Like in every family, my family has quite a bit of conflict. Things don's exactly run smoothly at the Gentling household, or at least in the past they didn't. Currently back home only my mother and father still live there. Against my mother's will both me and my brother have moved out and gone to college. My Brother. My brother Jesse is my only brother and 8 years older than me. I witnessed Jesse's personal style as he grew up and roared through high school and eventually moved out of the house after his second year at a local community college, Jesse is 6'4" probably 270, black hair, has one hell of an independent personality, and doesn't really resemble me at all. He always is an extremely outgoing personality everywhere he goes. I have yet to meet a person who doesn't like Jesse for his bigheartedness and funny personality. I remember he used to bug and tease me a lot when i was younger for being not quite as cool as he was back in the day. "Your what hurts?" was his usual comeback for anything stupid i had to say. Jesse lived in my home town of Rochester all his life, finding decent jobs on the college degree he had. 9 months ago I woke up from a good nights sleep and walked downstairs only to find a note sitting on the dining room table. Jesse would be permanently moving to Oklahoma to work for a distant cousin at a better job. That's when things in my family got hectic.
       My mother isn't exactly the quietest person in the world. At all my football and basketball games in high school my mom was known by my friends as "Mamma Gentling," for how loud and enthusiastic she was on the sidelines cheering. When she got the word Jess  was going to be gone, she had a lot to say. This of course worsened the bad relationship my brother and my mom have. Her pleading turned into yelling as she tried to convince my brother to stay. Jesse was not to be reckoned with. He had gone through 26 years of dealing with my crazy mother and all the boring Shit Rochester had to offer. He knew exactly how to tune her out and how to argue with her, something my dad still doesn't know how to do. He packed up his things form his small house only 20 minute away from ours and moved.
       Currently Jesse lives over 15 hours away from us. And I couldn't be happier. Do i miss my bro? of course but i couldn't be happier he made the decision he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment